Monday, September 14, 2009

To Jump or Not to Jump


I have not jumped Mira so decide to take her to the big arena before the hunter pace. I set up three jumps, well sort of jumps, at three different areas in the arena. One ground pole, one pole about 5-6” off the ground and then a third pole maybe 7-8” off the ground.

Mira does the first two great at a trot although sloppy with her back feet. She isn’t too sure about the third but does go over. Good Girl! This is where I should have patted her neck and called it a day. But she is so easy and did I mention I used to show hunters? I get a little jump happy and decide the third jump needs to be a little bigger. So…we add a white pole at the base and set it just a smidge higher. As we trot up to the jump I am thinking ooh fun this is more like it! Mira apparently thought it looked more impressive too and decided to swerve around and I ended up slowly falling in the dirt. Not a bad fall just a lose your balance embarrassing kind of fall. Mira stops and looks at me like, “What are you doing?” Ahhh, now I remember what happens when you skip steps with young horses and ask too much too soon. Darn, now I
have to get back on and go over the jump! My bad. We trot again and Mira is an angel and pops over the jump. Thanks Mira for covering my mistake! An extra Stud Muffin that night and realistic jumping expectations from now on.

On another note, some updated photos of Mira!

No comments:

Post a Comment