Monday, September 14, 2009

Hunter Pace Day


I am excited like a kid on Christmas morning! I get to the barn early to groom Mira and get everything loaded. Such a pretty mare! Doc loads first then Mira hops on without batting an eye.

The night before I learned there was a change in partners and I would be riding with a different CANTER volunteer with a more experienced horse.

The grounds are lovely and it is not too crowded, a perfect first hunter pace for Mira. With all the excitement Mira reverts a little and takes a few tries before opening her mouth for the bit then it’s off to the warm up ring. I realize in the ring we need more work on moving off my leg but all in all she is very good and we walk, trot and canter. She gets a little upset when Doc leaves the ring for his team but nothing crazy. What I like best about Mira is even if she is not sure
of something she trusts her rider.

Jesse and Mojo show up and our team is off. My plan is to walk, trot and canter, but not jump. This is a big exciting day for Mira and I want all to be positive. Well, we do cheat and walk over one ground pole. We trot and walk for the beginning of the course then are joined by a third CANTER rider. We approach a long stretch of open field and decide to canter. Mira canters beautifully along side the two other horses, calm and steady and slows to a walk when asked.

There are trails, jumps with flags, other horses and two stop points where the horses rest and riders get water. Mira handles everything fine. We canter again and once again she is calm. I am so impressed. The other 2 riders are taking jumps here and there. We have one last stretch of field at the end of the course. We are going to canter again and I did ask for a faster transition, we were heading “home” and one of the horses was a little bit ahead of us so this time Mira took a little hop or two then sped up faster than expected. I smiled a little because she must think she was supposed to catch the horse in front of us! But as soon as I said “easy” and did a little give and take with the reins she slowed down immediately. What an awesome mare she is! Mira was very brave and well behaved. Most of all I think she thoroughly enjoyed herself. Whoever adopts this mare is getting a real gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment