Monday, September 14, 2009

A little bit of background on Mira


OK, I admit, I am crazy about this young mare.

Mira came to CANTER as a filly with a bowed tendon, which has completely healed. I distinctly remember three things about Mira the first time I saw her. First, she was so pretty. REALLY pretty. She has a shiny dark brown coat that always gets compliments. Second, she is very feminine. Not mare-ish at all but definitely acts like a girl. Third, she has the cutest wrinkles around her eyes! The other fillies obviously didn’t tell her about wrinkle cream!

Mira was adopted last year but her owner fell on hard times and could no longer keep her. She came back to us underweight and was assigned to me as my project. For the first several weeks I just groomed Mira while she put weight back on and we got reacquainted.

I started ground work with Mira a few months ago. Mira didn’t know much and at first didn’t seem too happy about this thing called work. But she remained calm and I learned she was VERY motivated for Stud Muffins! Mira now knows her voice commands for walk, trot, canter and whoa in both directions. She is so easy to work with and picks things up quickly! She needs a little work on back, but is the first OTTB I have retrained that loves to whoa and stops perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment